Contact Our Firm  
  How We Can Help
and Your Benefits

Apply for U.S. Visa

  Immigration Consultation  
  Immigration Questionnaires  
  Complimentary Services  


  Contact an Immigration Lawyer

US Consulates General in Foreign Countries Processing US Visas

US Consulate General at Guangzhou, China

Non-Immigrant Visa
All non-immigrant visa appointments shall be made through the Visa Information Center.

The Guangzhou Consulate serves Hainan, Guangxi, Guangdong, and Fujian provinces.  If you do not live in one of these four provinces, you should apply for a visa at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing or at one of our other Consulates in Shenyang, Shanghai, or Chengdu.

All NIV applicants must submit the following documents when applying for a non-immigrant visa:

  • Non-refundable application fee at CITIC bank.  After paying this fee, you will receive a receipt that must be included in the visa application and present to the consular officer at the time of the interview.
  • A passport with at least nine months validity beyond the anticipated arrival in the United States.
  • One set of completed DS-156 forms, two completed DS-157 forms, each with recent American passport-sized photos attached. (The DS-156 and DS-157 forms are free and can be picked up at CITIC banks during regular working hours). The photograph of each visa applicant must be an unmounted full-face photo, taken within the past six months. A "full face" photo is one in which the applicant is facing the camera directly. The photograph should measure 2 inches square (roughly 50 mm square) with the head centered in the frame. Photos must be in color and must be taken against a white or off-white background. Photos should be printed without borders. Photos should be stapled or glued to Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application. If the photograph is stapled, the staples should be placed as far away as possible from the applicant's face.
  • Evidence of strong family, work, and financial ties to China that will convince the interviewing consular officer that you will return after a temporary stay in the United States.  Such evidence could include bank books, housing/land deeds, family photos, marriage certificates, birth certificates, business cards, letters from you employer, etc.  No specific documents are required.  You may bring whatever you feel will convince the consular officer that you will return to China.

Additional papers to bring:

  • Business (B1) applicants should bring a detailed invitation letter from the inviting U.S. organization and relevant business documents such as faxes, bills of landing, contracts, catalogs, purchase agreements, etc. that can demonstrate a bona fide business purpose for traveling to the United States.
  • Tourists (B2) applicants should provide evidence of their ability to financially support themselves during their stay (or of the inviter's ability to support the applicant). If visiting relatives, bring proof of the relationship.
  • Student (F1) applicants must bring a completed I-20, a recent school transcript, diplomas, GRE/TOEFL scores, and evidence of ability to pay tuition and expenses during the first school year in the United States. Please make sure that the school in the U.S. has input the names in SEVIS.
  • Exchange (J1) applicants must bring a completed DS-2019 form, evidence of financial support, and proof of current employment and scholarship.  Please make sure that the school in the U.S. has input the names in SEVIS.
  • Transit travelers (C1) applicants must provide evidence of their intention to travel onward to a third country.
  • Temporary Workers (H1) applicants must bring the I-797 notification of approved petition. In addition, H applicants should bring evidence of their job qualifications and a photocopy of the original I-129 petition filed by the prospective American employer.
  • Derivative status (F2, J2, and H4) applicants must bring evidence of their relationship to the principal alien, proof of the principal alien's legal status in the U.S. (a copy of the I-20, DS-2019, or 1-797 plus a photocopy of his/her visa), and evidence of financial support while in the United States.  F2 and J2 applicants need to be sure that the school in U.S. has entered their information into SEVIS.

Immigrant Visa
Foreign Service Officers of the Guangzhou Immigrant Visa Unit adjudicate all immigrant visas for residents of the People's Republic of China. This is the only office handling immigrant visas in China. The post also accepts Third Country Nationals on a discretionary basis.

The U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou receives immigrant visa petitions only after required processing is completed at the National Visa Center. When the files are received, the Immigrant Visa Unit requests pre-interview clearances. The case is then scheduled for interview after visa numbers are obtained for preference categories.

The Guangzhou Immigrant Visa Unit will set the date for the appointment and mail the invitation packet of interview-related information to the applicant. The packet is mailed out one month before the interview. It contains information on which documents are required at the interview, required medical forms, and contact data for specific hospitals designated to conduct medical checks and vaccinations.

Attorney Representation
There is no right to counsel. Attorneys cannot enter the NIV or IV unit. However, all correspondences are reviewed by an officer and action will be initiated on a case as appropriate.

Contact Information
U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou
No. 1 Shamian South Street
Guangzhou, PRC 510133

Phone: 020-8121-8000
Fax: 020-8121-9001

Visa Information Call Center: 4008-872-333 (For caller in Mainland China)
Visa Information Call Center: 86-21-3881-4611 (For caller outside Mainland China)

  • The Department of State wishes to advise callers that the charges for international calls are solely the responsibility of the caller. Currently, callers are experiencing significant wait times before reaching a live operator.
  • Applicants who have been previously denied a visa should make this clear to the appointment operator. Failure to disclose a past refusal can harm your chances of receiving a visa.
  • Requests to expedite visa appointments can be made by directly faxing the U.S. Consulate Guangzhou Non-Immigrant Visa Section (86-20-3884-4424). Requests are generally only approved for humanitarian reasons or for urgent medical situations.



    Our Professionals
    LL.M. Law Group Fact Sheet
    Immigration Terms
    Immigration FAQ
    Immigration Links  
    Immigration News  
Information and
    Legal Notice  
    Credit Card Payment


U.S . immigration lawyers working for you.

LL.M. Law Group
53 W. Jackson Boulevard
Suite 525
Chicago, Illinois 60604 

T: (312) 880-0872
F: (312) 880-0870

Transaction Processing